Monday 6 July 2009

"Hantu Jembalang" in Leicester



I walked into the City Centre today to do a bit of shopping and to enjoy my (small) bag of chips before we leave on Wednesday. It was a soothing day, not too hot, it was just nice. I know I will miss cool days like these when we get back to KL, but there are also many other compensations - like the ferocious rain and thunder and the wonderful streaks of lightning in the sky.

I boarded Bus No 22 as usual to get home. At the stop for the Railway Station, about 8-9 well-dressed, clean looking young men and women got in. They were all Caucasians except for one Afro-American and another youngster from Africa. They all spoke with an American accent and they had badges which indicated Church of the Latter Day Saints. All the young men went upstairs and 2 of the women took up seats downstairs and one decided to sit next to me although there were other seats available on the bus.

And I said to myself "here it comes". Indeed I was right. As soon as she was seated, she turned to me, smiled so sweetly and said "How are you?" This is the conversation.
Me : Fine, thank you.
Mormon Girl (MG): Isn't this lovely weather?
(Bus travellers in Leicester, whether they are white or brown or black generally keep to themselves, at the most they exchange smiles. But they will come to your aid if you require any help.)
Me: Not too bad (I know people in England always love to talk about the weather but
this girl sounded like she had just recently completed a course on how to start
a chat in England)
MG: Do you live here? ( She was beginning to irritate me. This was the usual patter)
Me: No answer, I just nodded my head and looked out of the window)
MG: Does your family live here? (still full of smiles)
Me: ('That's it' I said to myself. I've had enough) Do you mind if I don't talk to
you? I would prefer to be left alone.
MG: Oh, it's nice to talk, isn't it? (still full of smiles)

I ignored her and she knew I would not play her game. And I was left in peace.

I am no cranky, bad-tempered old woman. But, many, many times I've gone through these farcical and slimy attempts of Christian evangelists to engage my attention with the hope that I can be successfully converted. They do not want my friendship. They want my soul! I have never seen any attempts to convert a native English. She could have sat next to several other Caucasians in the bus and plagued them with her sickly sweetness

I recalled a summer's day, sometime in 1994. I was walking home and this sweet middle aged lady started talking to me and she said "What a lovely frock you're wearing". I said "thank you" and I thought it was kind of her to say that. I was quite naive then and was not aware of their modus operandi. We walked together and started chatting. Then she asked me "Do you know Jesus?"

Me: Oh yes!
She : Do you know that Jesus died for you - that he died for our sins?
Me: Ummmm, is it?
She: Do you want to be saved?Me: From what? ( I think my face was looking more and more pinched and worried)
She: From Sin!! (she was getting quite excited and querulous)
Me: But I do have my own religion.
She looked fiercely at me and asked "What?"
Me: I'm a Muslim.
You should have seen her face!! I must admit I was quite frightened.
She: You Mahometans will burn in the fires of hell unless you accept Jesus. You must
repent
.
I realised this was getting nasty and I said to her as gently as I could, despite my anger.
Me: Look, you have your religion and I have mine. Can't we respect each other's
rights?

She kept on screaming and yelling at me. That I must seek for salvation and accept Jesus as my saviour.
Me: But we Muslims accept Jesus! He is one of our prophets.

She became apoplectic and I am sure if she had a Cross in her hand, she would be waving it at me, like they do to Vampires and other nasty Apparitions.

That incident utterly shocked me and that's when I started my reading on the History of Christianity and its ways and purposes. That's also when I discovered Ahmad Deedat - he is one man I truly admire. If I could only have just 0.1 percent of his knowledge and tenacity.
More than any Ulama and Ayatollah, he has done a great service for his faith in facing the Judaeo Christian wraths and deceits against Islam - in their arena.

I find that all religions and beliefs teach us to be good and kind. Not all Christians want to SAVE my soul. But it troubles me a lot when I read about the Christian Evangelists' agenda and how they work to achieve their objectives.

Those young Mormons in the bus and others who knock on doors in the mainly Asian and non-Christian neighbourhoods of Leicester are well trained and well endowed to do what they are doing. It seems that the Mormons own a big chunk of the gambling 'industry' in Las Vegas. So they can afford to take a gamble on seducing us to give up our faith. And they have made big strides in achieving their target.

And they represent only a tiny, tiny tip of the iceberg.

And I hope this explains my rancour. They have really spoilt what promised to be a lovely day. Never mind, tomorrow will be a better day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time , bring a tin of insecticide spray and spray them away nor.

Don't know if I told you this. When I was a student and staying at Virginia Crescent, two Asian Chines ( probably from Hong Kong) knocked on the door and as usual blah blah blah anfd blah. Seeing that there was no response from me, one of them made a mistake of asking me if there was anything they could do to help me in anything at all.
I said yes , and the next half hour or so, I was in the living room, looking out to see the two guys doing the weeding and gardening in our garden. Of course I kept the door locked.

I mean, they volunteered and they did want to help(save) me so much.....

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine you being a vampire...the kids would love to see that =0

Perhaps you can share some 'killer points' in your past debate with them?
They'll never stop, and the best that we can do is to equip ourselves with the knowledge.

And I think you're also like Ahmad Deedat, in your own ways..


Azan

anak si-hamid said...

Thank you all for the comments.

For all we have and are,
For all our children's fate,
Stand up and take the war.
The Hun is at the gate.

(Rudyard Kipling :1856-1936) and again from him.

So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy,
at your 'ome in the Soudan;
You're a pore benighted heathen,
But a first-class fightin' man

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to share "daring tip" from Ven. Shravasti Dhammika, an Australian monk.

(extracted from http://tiny.cc/oMxWc)

" About six months ago there was a knock on my door and I opened it to find two evangelicals Christians there.... This was the third time that month that evangelists had come knocking on my door and disturbing me so I decided to teach them a lesson. 'Good morning' they said. 'Good morning' I replied.'Have you heard about the Lord Jesus Christ'? they asked. 'I know something about him but I am a Buddhist and I'm not really interested in knowing more' I said. But like all evangelists, they took no notice of my wishes and proceeded to talk about their beliefs....

I said, 'I don't think you are qualified to speak to me about Jesus'. They looked very astonished and asked, 'Why not'? 'Because', I said, 'you have no faith'. 'Our faith in Jesus is as strong as a rock' they insisted. 'I don't think it is' I said with a smile. 'Please open your Bible and read the Gospel of Mark, chapter 16, verse 16, 17 and 18' I said...

One of them found the passage and I asked him to read it out loud. It said, 'He who believes and is baptized will be saved but he who does not believe shall be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe in my name. They shall cast out devils, they shall speak in tongues, they will handle snakes and if they drink poison it will not hurt them and they will lay hands on the sick and they will recover'. When he finished I said, 'In that passage Jesus says that if you have real faith you will be able to drink poison and not die'. I took a bottle of Lankem from behind my back, held it up and said, 'Here is some poison. Demonstrate to me the strength of your faith and I will listen to anything you have to say about Jesus'.

You should have seen the looks on their faces!"

anak si-hamid said...

Beautiful!!!!!

We need more retorts like this sample so as to teach these people to leave the 'heathens' alone.

But too many of us just scoff at them and think they're not doing any harm.

Thank you Anon July 14