Thursday 13 December 2018

Merak di Sangkar

I have not been active for the past two months because of commitments that take priority over everything else in AsH's domain.

But I have to get back now  because I have an apology to make to my Malay readers when 2 months ago I wrote this - out of despair.

..........  ( and sadly, maybe for the last time) the Malay Worm decided to turn.


But I am so pleased to be proved wrong, ...  and how !!!!!!!

Mingguan Malaysia 9 December 2018.   The red text is an extract from the song 'Merak DiSangkar.


It's quite astounding to look at this gathering of Malays which had been dismissed as irrelevant by Lim Guan Eng, inappropriate by Anwar Ibrahim and as for Mariam Mokhtar they're just a mob of  insecure bullies and racists!

Well, the Malays have been smeared for some time now as lazy, untrustworthy, thieves, dishonest, complacent, incompetent, ungrateful, lacking good values and ethics, not ashamed of failure etc, etc.  But at least they can put on a helluva demonstration!  And they even left the streets clean, even cleaner than before they came.

Muscular young Malay men did not indulge in cross-dressing like wearing yellow brassieres.  Malay SYTs (Sweet Young Things) did not jump up and down on the pictures of the Government's top echelons.  They have been quite good, lazy people.

Maybe they can now ask from their betters:  to quote  Gilbert O'Sullivan, from his song Nothing Rhymed;

Am I being a good boy?
Am I your pride and joy?
(Mother or Father) Please, if you're pleased,
Say I am!

Yes, AsH for one, reckons you have been good.  But you have more to learn like from this poem "Anakku Sayang" by Dharmawijaya.


Anakku Sayang by Dharmawijaya.


                                                     =========================


For years this particular CD has given me a lot of pleasure.




It contains a collection of  "lagu lagu ghazal dan Melayu Asli" but one particular ghazal by Noraliza Idris has struck a deep chord in me.  That song is 'Merak diSangkar'.

This extract is taken from the notes accompanying the CD.


I'm disappointed that I can't show (which I could before) the video without the  'distracting'  background but here it is.




No comments: