Friday 9 July 2021

Two reasons to be ludicrously happy - Irene and Lely

 Borrowed from The Turtles ""Elenore" - with thanks.

Elenore (Irene and Lely) gee I think you're swell,

And you really do me well,

You're my pride and joy et cetera.



Lely and Irene  are my two lovely ex-students whose friendship with me (and later with my spouse, since 1986) has lasted yonks, since they were two scruffy, tetchy teenagers in 1976.

We have walked and shared many miles together, some sad and painful like losing our loved ones, some traumatic illnesses like stroke and cancer, and how these two girls survived with their heads held high and their hearts and spirits ever joyful and positive.  Iain and I have a lot to learn from them.

Years ago when I was in Sixth Form at RGS, I came across this poem Invictus by W E Henley.  It  never failed to inspire when life threw its brickbats at me.  And this second verse I believe ....

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed. 

...... was specially written for them two ex-tetchy teenagers!


From her school days, Irene has always excelled in Art and English.  But she sings and plays the guitar too.  That hobby of hers has been keeping her busy and happy ever since she touched the half-century mark some years ago.

A few days ago Lely sent me a video of "Irene at play".  I thoroughly enjoyed it as it brought such a ray of sunshine and hope in these dark Lockdown Covid 19 days.  Furthermore I do like the Turtles, especially the song "Elenore".  

I contacted Irene if she could send me this video which I could easily transfer to my blog.  Here it is, "Happy Together" sung by Irene.




Thank you girls. And here is my collage of some of our "Happy (days) Together " 


Clockwise from top left: Norfolk 2008, Singapore 2010, Boon Lay Singapore 1993, Kuala Lumpur 2009.


Lely and Irene :

You are my pride and joy et cetera.

4 comments:

Irene P said...

Dear Ms Hamid, thanks very much for this cheery and also bittersweet post. We certainly have come very far and have our own kind of experiences of the ups and downs while living.

Yes it can help to have or feel a little "pride and joy et cetera" sometimes :)

Love to you and Iain.

anak si-hamid said...

You're welcome sweetheart.

Darby and Joan despatch same love to you in Singapore.

Rockybru said...

I Won't Last A Day Without You. She sings it better than Karen.

anak si-hamid said...

Thank you Din.

Yes, Irene sings it better and sweeter.